Thurston’s Big Weekend
Saturday, 25th and Sunday, 26th September
We are gaining more and more support for this Big Weekend, so make sure you have saved the dates!
If you have missed other announcements here is some background information. The Friends of Thurston Library are working with the Parish Council to provide community events that will welcome newcomers and be enjoyed by other residents too. Most activities will be outside, as we want this event to be Covid-safe and enjoyable for everyone.
Our first event is the Big Weekend, when all village organisations are invited to promote themselves and attract new members. We hope that some businesses will join in too.
Here is a general run-down of where we are so far:
At the library:
- on Saturday 25th September the Friends of the Library will run a Treasure trail around the village that is suitable for families. Answers to the trail will be entered into a Draw for Book Token prizes.
- For those who want to use the trail to keep fit, we will have a longer route for walking/cycling which will be run in parallel. The clues for the prize draw will be the same on both trails.
- Also, our librarian, Ellie Longman, would like you to know that she is organising a free craft activity for children on the Saturday. It is called Big Weekend Wings. Templates and materials will be provided. The wings can then be worn on the trail around the village!
- On Sunday 26th September, Thurston Preschool and the Friends of Thurston Primary Academy will organise a Sale Trail. Please start saving any unwanted items so that you can have a stall outside your home.
- New Green Centre - Thurst Cafe will be open all weekend. Many of the organisations that hire New Green are planning demonstrations and activities for you to see. A music event is also planned: watch out for more details.
- The Cavendish Hall will be serving refreshments and there will be an exhibition about Thurston’s history. Our Village Recorder has a wonderful selection of photographs which are always of interest at such events.
- St Peter’s Church will be celebrating Harvest Festival that weekend starting with a Harvest Supper on Friday 24thSeptember in the Cavendish Hall at which you will be very welcome. The church will be beautifully decorated over the weekend – do look in. There will be competitions for children and a cake stall too.
- The Scouts and the Rugby Club are also keen to join.
- Thurston Cricket Club are looking forward to the weekend and would like you to know that they are a ‘friendly community club with players of varying abilities and age, new members are welcome throughout the season, and we do not operate joining fees or waiting lists. Whether you want to play in league games, learn more about cricket, train to improve parts of your game, help out in non-playing roles, or come along and watch, the club’s ethos is to get the community involved, find you a role that you feel comfortable in and enable you to make a difference. We play matches on a Sunday in the 2nd Division of the Suffolk Cricket league and offer a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon.’ For more information or if you are interested in joining the club, contact Jeff Addison (Club Chairman) at
We hope that the weekend will be fun for all ages and help to raise our spirits after such a difficult time being isolated from family, friends and neighbours. It will also provide excellent opportunities for newcomers to meet the leaders of various clubs and know much more about life in our wonderful village!
If your organisation, club or business is interested in being part of this event, or if you simply want more information, please get in touch with Anne O’Connell at email@example.com, using The Big Weekend in the subject line. You can also find out more by visiting the library.
We look forward to working with many more village organisations to make this a very memorable weekend!